Thursday, January 8, 2009

What day is it?

Seriously, I'm a little confused. If I didn't have that nifty little calendar feature on my computer to tell me that today is Thursday, I'd have no idea. I think it's Tuesday.

The toddler spent the first part of the week throwing up. I spent the first part of the week doing laundry. And for two days, the rest of the time, we spent wedged into my chair watching every Pixar movie EVER MADE. (Except for Wall*E, because Santa forgot that one. Oh well.)

After careful analysis, I have expertly concluded that Dory the Fish is funnier than Mike from Monsters, Inc. But just barely. Rex the Dinosaur is a close third.

So, I've got a kid crammed against one hip, and three-legged wiener dog draped over my lap, and my computer precariously balanced on the arm of the chair, and I spent almost two days typing with one hand, because I already know Finding Nemo by heart. Nothing like pecking out soul-revealing conversations between two characters who have nothing in common but being carbon-based life forms and being stuck in the same car on a road trip while simultaneously comforting a toddler that fish are indeed friends, not food.

There was a fun break in the proceedings, when contractors actually showed up and began using a bobcat to dig out frozen earth and frame up brand new, only three months behind schedule, concrete steps.

Is there anything better, for a 3 1/2 year old boy, than staying home, eating blue Popsicles (doctor approved, thank you!) and watching a bobcat work less than two feet from you? If there is, it's watching movies in your jammies all day.

Sadly, the contractors have not reappeared, which means that I have no functional steps. Just a form with gravel in it. And a bobcat in my backyard.

What was that resolution I made? Something about Patience? I gotta get me some of that.

As you can see, things have been a little nutty around here recently. We still haven't gotten our acts fully back together from the holiday crazies. But that's okay, because the book I'm working on (while I wait - PATIENTLY - to hear from the agent) IS actually coming together.

Have you laughed at the title yet? Here, let me tell you, and you can laugh with me:

Warrior, Lawyer

It's even better when you say it like this, in a deep movie trailer voice: "Warrior (comma) Lawyer." The comma is very important to making this a really lame title.

But my Web Honcho, aka Craig, was putting stuff up on the site, and I wanted something up there. And that's what my brain came up with, on short notice.

Doesn't bode well, does it? At least it's funny.

But beyond the awful title, the book is coming together. The Warrior (comma) Lawyer in question is Nick Longhair. Nick barely merited a passing mention in the last book (that the agent is reading in full), as being sent to Harvard Law so that Jacob the Noseless Cowboy would have a top-notch lawyer. But I got to thinking one day, what would it be like to be a Lakota Indian at Harvard Law? The short answer is, it kind of sucks. The long answer is at 298 pages (in five weeks - stupid possessing muse!). I was calling it Lakota Legally Blond, but I figured Reese Witherspoon would beat me up, and she looks like she fights dirty.

So, if anyone else has any other title suggestions - real or hilarious, I'm all eyes. In fact, I dare you to come up with something worse that Warrior (comma) Lawyer.

I Triple Dog Dare You! (Sorry. Still a little nutty around here!)

No comments: