Thursday, July 17, 2008

They got me.

I have resisted. Oh, how I have dragged my feet about joining Myspace or Friendster or, heaven help me, Twitter. I'm just not the kind of person who randomly socializes with complete strangers without wondering who's the nuttier one - me, for being friends with them, or them for wanting to be friends with me. And I'm a Luddite at heart. Frankly, I'm impressed I haven't imploded my computer blogging.

But finally, someone came up with a social networking site that I can - nay, want to be a part of.

GoodReads.

My good friend Pauline Friday invited me to join yesterday. I've already rated and reviewed all the books I've read in the last two months, made 3 friends, invited more people to join me, and posted samples of my writings.

See, it's not just networking, it's networking about books! Finally, a place where I can vent my feelings on books that are good until the last three pages! A place where people can argue with me about whether or not Stephanie Meyer deserves the press she's getting! (I'm working through the Twilight series now. It's debatable.)

Instead of just wasting time making 'friends,' now I'm not actually wasting time, but expanding my literary world. I'm still not sure anyone else gives a fig about my opinions on anything, but hey, if someone wants to debate why second books seem so much more forced than first books, I found the perfect place to have it.

So, finally, the Internet got me, again. I suppose it was inevitable that it would come to this point - social networking for book geeks - but I didn't know we were already there.

So, I invite you to check out my profile on GoodReads. If you like it, you can be my friend. And I won't think you're the nutty one.

3 comments:

lucylucia said...

I was thinking about the Twilight series. A blog I was reading a fews weeks ago, was raving about it. So you didn't think that it lived up to the hype??

Sarah M. Anderson said...

Not really. It IS a Teen love story. It IS written for teens - not unlike our dear friend Pauline was back in the day - all drama, all the time. The first one was pretty good, but the second one reminded me of the second matrix movie - just killing time until we can get to the big conclusion.

And I've got another two books to go before I get to the conclusion!

Another one of my friends absolutely adored Meyer's Host - written for grown-ups. I will read that.

lucylucia said...

Okay, let me know what you think of that one. I'm reading the Jean Ayul series right now. Very fun, very detailed and entertaining. And the longer the better!

p.s. "All drama, all the time" - made me laugh. :)